Thursday, January 28, 2010

"If I Can Make It There..."

I am very very VERY happy to announce (some of you know, some of you may not) that I officially have a "big girl" job! Well, internship...paid internship to be more exact (woohoo money!)! I am the Creative Intern/Production Assistant at RWS and Associates Entertainment, Inc. RWS and Associates is a full service entertainment firm that provides the very best in custom-designed as well as pre-packaged events and productions worldwide. Check out the website at www.rwsandassociates.com to see what all the firm does and who all the firm represents (you'll find many very familiar)! It was a goal of mine to get an internship while in NYC to learn the in's and out's of the business side of theatre and the entertainment industry. I received a call the week of Christmas from Robbie (see the website and you'll know who I'm talking about) and he wanted to set up an interview. I was already home for the holidays and I asked him anxiously if a phone interview would suit him since I wouldn't be back in the city until the first week of January. He told me he'd call me back the next day. Crossing my fingers that he would (because sometimes they don't call back), he called me first thing the next morning and wanted to set up a phone interview for that afternoon. Two o'clock on the dot, he called me and we had an interview! I don't think it could have gone any better! Robbie told me they wouldn't be hiring until the first of January and that he might want me to come in and have a second interview in the office.

I get back to the city on January 3rd praying they would call me January 4th to come in for a second interview. 10 a.m. came...noon...2 p.m...4 p.m...by 5:30 I was thinking I wasn't getting a phone call, but lo and behold at ten till 6, Robbie called me and asked if I could come in for a second interview on Thursday. I was thrilled!!! So Thursday I go in, nervous but excited, hoping they'll like me. I interviewed with Tarrah and Robbie and again thought it went very very well. They told me I would probably hear something the next day or Monday, so like I waited for the phone call for the second interview, I waited for this one. Friday...Monday...Tuesday...by Wednesday I figured they I had just hired somebody else and I was going to just have a moment of disappointment then move one. Because really, this city moves too fast and opportunities can slip right by if you are busy dwelling on the past or disappointments.

So Thursday morning, I was very excited because that night I was having my first rehearsal for The Clurman Singers (my Carnegie Hall gig). As Aundrey and I were getting ready to head out the door, I received a phone call from a New York number. I first thought it might be RWS but then I thought, "no, they would have called by now." So I ignored it and waited to see if I got a voicemail. Well, I did and won't you guess who it was? RWS!!!!!!!!! The offered me a part-time (2 day) internship. I was THRILLED! Even though it was part-time, it was still money and experience coming my way, so I was pumped. When I talked to Tarrah, she told me to come in for the move-in party, because the office was moving buildings so I would go in and check out the new office along with everyone else that works for RWS. So I go in, meet everyone (who I immediately fell in love with), and check out the new office. It is so fun in there! It has these two huge red walls when you first walk in with a big plasma screen with the RWS logo on it. There is a huge black and white curtain to the left where the costume storage which I loved. There is the awesome red cabinet/shelf units all throughout the office. So basically I immediately fall in love with the whole place, period. Honestly, the first thing I thought of was "AOII and WKU colors! I'm meant to be here!" :)

I meet the other intern they hired and we chatted for a bit. Then she tells me that she was offered another internship and that she had accepted it and wouldn't be staying at RWS. In comes Tarrah. She offers me a full-time internship at this point. A promotion on the first day! I gladly accepted because I know this internship will educate me in more ways than one. So I've been at RWS for a week and a half and absolutely love it. I have learned so much already and I can't wait to see what else is in store. This week I got to attend and help with the auditions that RWS had and I swear that was one of the most eye-opening, educating experiences I have had in New York and just in performing in general. I can't wait to see what else is in store for me and I can't wait to fill you all in on what is to come. I am truly blessed and I'm feeling it everyday.

By the way, did I tell you the office is in Time Square??? Oh yes, I get to walk through the bright lights and past the theatre marquees every night on my way home and it is a constant reminder of what I am here for and that now that I'm making it here, I can make it anywhere:)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Ashlee!
    I'm so excited for you!!!
    *HUGS!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlee-I am new to your blog and really look forward to following you on your NYC journey. I have never been there, but would LOVE to. Congrats on your internship. I am your newest follower. I hope you will make your way back and follow back too! Juliana from A Blonde Walks Into A Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashlee! Hope NYC is treating you great! I just left you something over at my blog...check it out! :-)

    ReplyDelete